Tanner grew up in red deer Alberta and played minor baseball all around Central Alberta. He played for the Edmonton sharks program and Calgary Dawgs program to conclude his high school career at which time was drafted by the New York Mets in 2000. After 5 years pitching in the Mets organization Tanner then went on to coach the red deer generals in the WMBL for two seasons. Tanner then went on to coach the Okotoks Dawgs Academy program. Tanner was the Okotoks Dawgs Academy pitching coordinator from 2011 to 2013. Tanner went to three straight National Championship Gold medal games as the Dawgs pitching coach, winning the Championship in 2012.
Additional Career Highlights
His hockey career highlights include:
- Has won championships at the high school, collegiate, and professional levels.
- Graduated from Harvard University in 2005.
- Was the 109th Harvard Hockey Captain.
- Two Time College All-American award winner.
- Two Time ECAC Championship winner.
- Won two SHL Championships and was MVP of the playoffs during the first championship run with the Vaxjo Lakers.